A Teacher Created Program That Prepares Students to Excel on All Comprehensive Assessments of Social Studies
- Taking the High Road to Social Studies integrates the language skills of reading and writing with
social studies themes and concepts.
- This series is based on the premise that reading and learning are interactive processes, which require a number of skills and strategies for the successful acquisition of knowledge.
- You can expect the same excellent results as achieved with the highly successful series Taking
the High Road to Reading, Writing, and Listening.
- Teacher’s Manuals are available for each grade level in the series.
SQ3R: A Study Skill (Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review)
- Sets a purpose for reading.
- Reinforces motivation by providing answers on the same page.
- Surveys the text to review prior knowledge.
- Encourages scanning the questions at the end of the selection.
- Develop the main historical themes and trends.
- Gear readability to the instructional level of most students.
- Appropriate length for in-depth coverage of themes.
- Ample graphic materials to support comprehension.
- Employ primary sources for authenticity.
- A series of 15 varied tasks.
- Presented in a multiple-choice format.
- Emphasize critical thinking.
- Provide additional information through primary source documents.
- Encourage returning to the text to verify answers.
- Use signature character, XL, to provide skills and strategies throughout the text.
TERMS TO REMEMBER
- Provides quick review of essential vocabulary.
- Uses terms in context for clarification.
- Provides strategy for vocabulary study.
- Provide for evaluation of primary source documents.
- Include a wide variety of graphic materials for learning.
- Promote concise, clear writing.
- Offer both factual and open-ended short answer questions.
DOCUMENT-BASED QUESTIONS (DBQS)
- Based upon two consecutive stories in the book.
- Incorporate main ideas and themes from BOTH stories.
- Use carefully selected original documents to instruct as well as test.
- Employ scaffolding to build essay data.
- Expose students to a variety of graphics.
- Model effective note taking and structure through graphic organizers.
- Add step-by-step coaching for successful essay construction.
- Gradually withdraw support as students excel in skills.
- Employ the 5-step writing process.
CONCISE TEACHER'S MANUALS
- Answer keys for the objective questions, constructed-response questions, and document
- Scoring rubrics for short responses and for essays.
- Student profiles for the stories and DBQs.
- Templates from the student edition.